Sunday, January 26, 2014

Treasure Hunt


At the end of the summer, I got a tip that there was some new CDT trail tread around Bear Mountain some 15 miles out of Silver City.  I quickly ran to the local bike shop for more information but got nothing.  The USFS had nothing.  At the end of fall, the Forest Service updated their maps to include all new trails.  Still nothing.  I went searching out there a few months ago, couldn't find it, despite the planning map I found here.  Instead, all I found was some ribbon on a fencline where the trail should have been.

Pondering my failures last night, I resolved to try again.  This time with a GPS in tow.  Cheating I know, but I didn't want to return again empty-handed.


Early this morning, GPS confirmed that I wasn't a failure months back; there merely is no trail there.  I was luckily able to find a shorter segment of trail further to the west that more than satisfied my desire for something new close to home.  4 new miles of fantastic singletrack.  Hopefully in the next year everything will connect, and our sweet little network will get even sweeter.  

I've created a topo map here for your running/hiking/biking pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment