Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Embarrassing Expectations

Moving to Silver City meant moving closer to the Gila.  Although the Gila became the newest huge wilderness out the backdoor like the Maroon Bells or the Indian Peaks, it is a bit further of a reach to get to.  Now that we are down to one car and time is more precious at home, I find it harder and harder to justify over an hour or so of driving each way to get out for a run.  The real heart of the Gila near the Cliff Dwellings is over 2 hrs away, so I've found myself trying to gnaw away at the edges.  This weekend was another experience in the margins of the Gila.  Sapillo Creek environs.

The thermometer read 37 degrees at the house, but the temperature at the bottom of the canyon of Sapillo Creek must have been 19 deg at the start of the run.
19 degrees is manageable while running, or it is until you have to deal with water.  Iced-over rocks made me shy away from rock-hopping at each crossing of Sapillo.  Instead, I grit my teeth and went straight through.  My guidebook claimed 3-4 crossings, but I counted 6.   Not such a big deal in summer, but twice as painful in winter.  My toes went from sharp pain to fully numb very quickly.  I'd long forgotten the feeling of running/hiking with cement blocks at the end of my legs, and was saddened by how soft I'd become in a few short years.

Eventually, the trail climbs out of the creek bed, up and over and thru many smaller side drainages, and dries out.  30 minutes later my feet still had no feeling.  I couldn't figure out why until I looked down and saw that my shoes were still partially frozen.  These shoes drain poorly and are ill-suited for constant fords, no matter how thin the socks inside may be.  Note taken for spring/summer trips along the Gila River where 50+ fords is the norm.

I'd not expected too much from the terrain on this run, but just wanted to be in the woods and getting a glimpse of what the deep Gila could be like.

After a few miles, I was fully enchanted by this area and couldn't believe that I'd had slightly low hopes for it.  Sapillo Box opened up below me and I felt like I was amidst any of the better wildernesses I've been lucky to set foot through.





After photo-gawking for too long, I made it back down to the sycamores of Sapillo Box further downstream of my starting point, and not far from the Gila River.  I'd had dreams of going further downstream just to set my toes in the Gila, but thought better of it when I saw the ice forming all along the banks of Sapillo.






I vowed to return again in the spring, but with the added weight of my tenkara rod.  The waters are incredible, and I've read that Sapillo Box holds tons of trout.

2 comments:

Eugene Smith said...

Keep it up.

Devon Fletcher said...

Beautiful photos again. I've caught many trout hiding behind those in stream boulders.

Post a Comment